To request more information about TechTeach,
KIPP Houston Public Schools is proud to announce a new partnership with Texas Tech University’s 2+1 TechTeach program! TechTeach is designed for aspiring educators who currently hold, or soon will hold, an associate degree in teaching and would like to earn an accelerated, online bachelor’s degree in education in only one year. At the same time, aspiring educators will gain valuable teaching experience in a KIPP Houston elementary classroom with support from a KIPP mentor teacher and a TechTeach site coordinator. TechTeach candidates must also have a strong desire to work with KIPP’s diverse student population.
Please note that candidates holding any degree higher than an associate are not eligible for this program. This is a year-long, full-time unpaid degree program with clinical experience.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Teacher Candidate will:
1. Participate in TTU Coursework and Professional Development
- Complete ongoing Texas Tech bachelor’s coursework online throughout the year
- Take an in-person summer class before the start of the school year, and attend class once a week during the school year (class is on a KIPP Houston campus)
- Attend all school and regional-level professional development (PD) sessions
- Successfully complete program assessments and pass all required state certification exams
2. Gradually increase teaching responsibilities throughout the year using the co-teaching model
- Follow the program’s co-teaching model to plan with your mentor teacher, as well as gradually take on lead teaching responsibilities over the course of the year
- Participate in other teaching and staff responsibilities, which can include, but are not limited to small-group interventions, assisting during independent practice, lesson planning, grading, and supervising at lunch, arrival, and dismissal
Education and Knowledge:
- Completed Associate of Arts in teaching degree (or will complete prior to program start) with a minimum of 2.75 GPA and 66 completed core curriculum transferable hours with a foreign language requirement (2 years from high school or 2 semesters from college)
- Ability to establish rapport with families and children
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making
- Independent, self-starter with a strong focus on student development and a passion for working with underserved student populations and their families
- Proven written and verbal communication skills with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Possession of a sense of urgency to do whatever it takes to assure that every student gets to and through college
- Willingness to be an active member of a professional learning community focused on action research within the school and the classroom
For a full description of the TechTeach Program, please go to the Texas Tech TechTeach website.
If you are interested in applying for the program and would like someone to contact you with more information, please click the button below.