Laurie Bieber at KIPP School Summit with Jay Sears, KIPP Houston Trustee Board Member and Mike Feinberg, KIPP Co-Founder.
I helped Mike Feinberg open our first Houston school in 1995. After 10 years with KIPP Houston and the KIPP Foundation, I moved to New York in 2005 to work in a family business. Last September 2014, I rejoined KIPP Houston after a 9-year absence.
The 2015 KIPP School Summit opened in Anaheim on Monday. I haven’t been in the presence of so many KIPPsters ever – nor did I ever expect that I would.
I would love to share with you 5 points of personal happiness drawn out by the KIPP School Summit:
1. The proud feeling of seeing ‘strangers’ in the John Wayne airport wearing KIPP t-shirts from cities other than Houston -- all headed to the KSS
2. The cool wave that crossed over me Sunday as I entered the Hilton lobby to see a sea of Big KIPPsters wearing different regional swag -- meeting and greeting one another like old friends
3. The joy of hugging many of the very same people that I hugged at the very first Summit in Miami Beach in 2003
4. The comfort in knowing that Mike Feinberg, Dave Levin, and Richard Barth are still the most committed and fearless leaders an organization could ever have
5. The passion exuded at the Opening Ceremony by 183 schools representing 70 THOUSAND KIPPSTERS and 10 THOUSAND ALUMNI!
I am in awe of how far we have come.
I stand ready and prepared, to paraphrase my wonderful colleague Eldon, ‘to press on in the struggle.’
I am so happy to be home.